Easy Ways to Update Your Home Without a Major Remodel
By Megan Morrow
Published April 3, 2019
If you are ready for some home upgrades, but do not want to suffer the mayhem of a major remodel or be forced into moving to another location for several months, you may have more options than you realize. A variety of simple updates and upgrades can make your house feel more like the home of your dreams in a matter of just hours or days.
Check out these ideas for giving your house a fresh look this spring:
- Add a fresh coat of paint: With a small investment of time and money, a fresh coat of paint can brighten up any room. Lighter colors tend to make rooms look larger and brighter while Pantone’s “color of the year” for 2019 is living coral, if you are looking for the latest trend in paint and decor. If you are waffling between colors, ask for small samples and paint small swatches on the wall, giving yourself a few days to determine your favorite.
- Create more open space: Open floor plans are near the top of most homebuyers’ list, according to the National Association of Homebuilders, as more families prefer kitchens, dining rooms and family rooms that flow together. Aside from tearing down walls, you can make your current spaces feel more spacious with the illusion of mirrors placed opposite windows to reflect more light as well as moving larger, bulkier furniture which can impede flow in a space. Likewise, a lighter paint color can also open up a room that feels small.
- Modernize kitchen and bathroom cabinets: This renovation can be as simple as new drawer pulls and handles – a small project that can create a big difference in a room – as well as a coat of paint if you are not in love with the current look of wood cabinets.
- Install new window treatments: From panels to sheers to shades, new window treatments can create a new window to the world outside as well as a fresh feel inside. You may wish to consult with a designer in terms of styles and colors that suit your taste and spaces.
- Update your lighting scheme: Dark rooms tend to feel cramped while well-lit spaces appear more welcoming. You can make simple upgrades with new floor lamps placed in dark corners, charming lamps on tables and more modern ceiling light fixtures. Let there be light!
- Consider some wallpaper: Better and trendier than ever, new wallpapers are easier to install and remove when you want to try something new. You may want to start with one wall in a room to ensure that you love the look and feel of the particular pattern you choose.
Other ideas for reasonable renovation projects include a new stair runner, crown molding, an upgraded energy-efficient dishwasher, a kitchen back splash or fresh landscaping for spring. All of these ideas can generally be implemented in one day and can create an instant pop of freshness and the feeling of home-sweet-home.
We want to hear from you
Do you have a topic suggestion for an article in a future issue of Sims Insights newsletter? We would love to hear from you. Share your ideas here.
The material presented here is for information purposes only and is not to be considered an offer to buy or sell any security. This report was prepared from sources believed to be reliable but it is not guaranteed as to accuracy and it is not a complete summary of statement of all available data. Information and opinions are current up to the date of publication and are subject to change without notice. The purchase and sale of securities should be conducted on an individual basis considering the risk tolerance and investment objective of each investor and with the advice and counsel of a professional advisor. The opinions expressed by Ms. Morrow are strictly her own and do not necessarily reflect those of Herbert J. Sims & Co., Inc. or their affiliates. This is not a solicitation to buy or an offer to sell any particular investment. All investment involves risk and may result in a loss of principal. Investors should carefully consider their own circumstances before making any investment decision.